Tuesday 28 February 2012

The good, the bad and the ugly!

Good: I had an amazing weekend in Battambang with Ash... photos below :)
I also received a parcel from mum with Chocolate, Marmite and Coffee - a little peice of home to keep me going!
Bad: I had a tummy bug last week and had to stay in bed for 2 days.
To top it off when I was heading back from the post office, my long green dress got caught in my back wheel and in the middle of the street the whole thing ripped off. Everyone thought it was soooo funny seeing me bike half naked home!
Ugly: I witnessed a motobike accident on Tuesday... poor dude had a severe head injury and didn't make it :(

But to finish on a light note, a bit about Battambang. A 3 hour bus trip from Siem Reap, Ash and I found a lovely hotel for 2 nights were we didn't have to sleep in mosquito nets and had hot water - a luxury for us.
The day we arrived we went to aerobics on the river front. Described by Lonely Planet as 'the local hunk with a boom box', he wasn't my type of 'hunk', but I was certainly impressed by his large sound system!!
The next day we started off at the bamboo train. Much like a roller coaster without the loops, this was a lot of fun. The lines were insanely uneven and noisy and every time another carriage came from the opposite direction, someone had to get off and remove their carriage, let the others pass and then assemble it back on the track!
Ashleigh and I bought our train driver a $1 straw hat as he had a very hot head, and in return, the lovely lady's at the station made us flax grasshoppers and bracelets. They were very sweet.
After the train ride we headed to the killing caves. In the 1970's and 80's when the Khmer Rouge ruled Cambodia, they killed thousands of people at the top of the caves and then threw their bodies down into the cave. It was a really hard walk down into the cave, as many bones still remained down there. Ash and I both had a few tears as it was extremely upsetting to learn what had happened and after having lived and worked with Cambodians for 6 weeks now, its hard to imagine what these people have been through over the past 40 years. None of it seems fair.
We donated a few dollars to the temples and received good luck bracelets to take home with us.

After the caves we headed home for some quiet time, a bit of local shopping  and finished the day with dinner and 'happy hour'.
Back to school on Tuesday... only 3 weeks to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment