Tuesday 24 January 2012

First day at school yesterday :)

My day starts at 1pm at the office in town where I teach the permanent teachers new computer skills and practice their own English. Then I leave with the afternoon teacher Sopheap, to head to the school which is 50 minutes away on a motorbike. Its a beautiful ride out past the temples, but the further into the country we get the worse the roads are and it ends up being dirt tracks and very bumpy!
I have three classes each day: 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, so I don't get home till 8pm and its very dark. A scary trip on a moto!
The poverty is really bad out of town so the kids are really dirty, but they are the most beautiful children, always smiling and always happy. They have no idea how bad their conditions are and most of them have never left their homes, so I have to be really sensitive about how much I tell them about where I come from.
Its a bit of a challenge as they are always asking me questions and staring. Cambodians think white people are beautiful and even have whitening creams that they apply to make their skin whiter - one of my biggest suprises!
Its such an amazing project to be working with though, even if it is a mission to get to - it is definitely going to be a rewarding experience :)

On the weekends all the volunteers I'm staying with get together and go on day trips around the country. Last week we went to Tonle Sap lake (photos below) and next weekend we are going to the sunken mountains and waterfalls for a bqq and swim - should be fun!

I got invited to a Cambodian wedding yesterday. Its on my second to last day before I head home in March, so that will be an awesome way to end my trip!

Well better head off to school now. Hope everyones well xx

1 comment:

  1. Your blog has gone global....and being enjoyed by many, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete